If your intention, your purpose for being in business is good, then you have no reason not to market yourself. If you are not happy with your personal marketing style and marketing in general, it’s time to get your marketing-mindset into gear.
What we believe in our mind enables us to act, to create or to reach what we want to achieve or it keeps us from getting there. Either way, our mind is very powerful, and it is always our choice how we use its might.
Marketing Makes All The Difference
To market and not to market yourself is likely the difference between your business being known or not. Marketing is the difference between your mission being known and understood, and not.
You need to have your marketing-mindset working for you instead of sabotaging you.
Many of us have negative beliefs, consciously or unconsciously, which make us feel uneasy when it comes to marketing ourselves. Here’s the thing, if you are not comfortable with your personal brand’s presentation, your delivery can come across as sounding fake. Which may be precisely the impression you are hoping to avoid. Wouldn’t it be great to feel 100 percent comfortable with your personal brand and have the right marketing-mindset?
How do you experience marketing in general? Are you aware how your marketing-mindset is programmed?
When people hear the word marketing, many think immediately of false promises, manipulative tactics, and selling for the sake of selling something. And many small businesses and solopreneurs state that they feel obliged to do that kind of marketing too, to make their business work.
Your beliefs play a massive part in everything. If you have a mindset that is consciously or unconsciously holding you back, it can make any goal or vision stay on paper, instead of becoming a living reality.
That’s because your mindset can affect the actions that you take (or don’t take) and the results that you get.
What are limiting beliefs and where do they originate?
Limiting beliefs are those which constrain us in some way.
Your mind works in a way that it takes on all beliefs that you’ve accepted willingly or without noticing and which your mind believes to be true. There is a belief system running in the background that continuously shapes how you think, feel & act. Limiting beliefs serve as filters of your reality that is shaped by our experiences.
Our beliefs can be formed from a very young age and throughout our education and lifetime in all areas of our lives.
You can notice it in your negative self-talk, when you catch yourself saying or thinking things such as:
- I cannot do this because …
- I am not good enough because…
If you find yourself repeating some phrase over and over in your mind chatter, you should realise that it’s a limiting belief that you have. The more you repeat it, the more your mind believes this is true.
The good news is that once you are aware of the beliefs that aren’t supporting you in your business and marketing, you can choose to start to change them to supporting beliefs.
You may hold some negative beliefs about marketing and branding, which may not be helping you, and which you are blissfully unaware of, i.e. you may think some or any of the following:
- Marketing is manipulative.
- Marketing is pushy.
- It is just about selling, regardless of whether the product or service is needed.
- I am not an expert at marketing myself.
- There are many others already offering the same services.
- If I put myself out there, it seems ridiculous, not professional enough, etc.
Eliminating from whatever is blocking you from taking action and getting results is one of the best foundations for all your business work.
How can you get rid of your mind’s limitations and create the right marketing-mindset?
- Become aware what belief gets in your way and simply acknowledge that you have this belief. Accept it’s just a belief; it’s not the truth!
- Ask, is this is really true? Or do you just believe it is true? Do some self-inquiry here. Mostly, you’ll find out it is not true for you anymore or just a perception of something you were made to believe.
- Choose to let got of this blocking thought and let it vanish.
- Choose what you want to believe instead. Play around and find what you want to believe that supports and serves you in reaching your marketing, business or life goals.
It is a simple as this!
Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.
I think this is a good starting point to accept and make use of your mind’s power because you shouldn’t underestimate the power of having a marketing-mindset that is working for you instead of sabotaging you.